Uttarakhand is the region which is rich in its natural beauty, people, culture and heritage. Tehri Garhwal is a district of Uttarakhand, in the western Himalayas. In the last few decades, Uttarakhand has been attracting people from all over the world with its high mountains, sacred valleys, snow-capped peaks, lush green forests and lakes. The State offers the best, luxury on one hand and extreme adventure on the other.
“Uttarakhand is a state in the Northern part of India. It is also known as Devbhumi (the land of Gods). It was formed on 9 November 2000 by carving out 16 districts from Uttar Pradesh and 1 district from Haryana. Uttarakhand has one of the most diverse natural environments in the world.”
Tehri Garhwal: The Heart of Uttarakhand
Tehri Garhwal is a district of Uttarakhand, in the western Himalayas. The Tehri Dam Project, which came into being in 1979 and provides irrigation for about 12 lakh hectare of land in the region, is located at the foothills of this beautiful hill station.
New Tehri is newly established township and district headquarter of Tehri Garhwal. It is situated at an elevation between 1550 to 1950 meters above sea level.
Tehri Garhwal’s Historical Background
Tehri Garhwal is a town in Uttarakhand, India. The town was made the capital of Uttarakhand by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh in 1997 before being moved to Dehradun. The town is historically significant because it has been the HQ for many Rajas and Maharajas. Garhwal Kingdom was ruled by Shah Dynasty. Raja Sudarshan Shah was the ruler and the founder of New Tehri city of Tehri district.
Tehri Garhwal is famous for?
Tehri is the Uttarakhand’s third largest district and the heart of Uttarakhand. It is well known for its scenic beauty, and its famous temple, Malleshwaram Temple. It is a hub for yoga, spirituality, and meditation. Tehri Dam is renowned as the largest and highest dam in Asia and is considered as the 10th tallest Dam in the world harnessing water from Bhilangana and Bhagirathi, the two essential rivers in the Himalayas.
What are the Best Places to Visit in Tehri Garhwal?
When it comes to visiting Uttarakhand, many tourist places are there.
- It is worth visiting Tehri Garhwal for its scenic views.
- Best for historic temples like Chandrabadni, Surkanda Devi Mandir, Kunjapuri, the 2 from Char Dham Yatra (Gangotri and Yamnotri), Sem Mukhem Temple and many more.
- One of the best places of interest in Tehri Garhwal is the Jungle Mahal. This temple was built around 1800 BC and draws many visitors because of its beauty. The temple has carvings of animals on the exterior walls which are still in good condition.
- Tehri Jheel or Tehri Lake is also the best place to visit which is located Near Koti Colony (about 15 kms from New Tehri city). You can do boating in Tehri Jheel or Tehri Lake. Lake is very beautiful surrounded by hills around.
- Tehri Dam, the largest and highest Dam in Asia and is considered as the 10th tallest Dam in the world, is a prohibited site and you can’t click the photo of the Dam too. You can only go to backwaters area. CISF guards who are posted there, don’t allow public to click the pictures around. To visit the interior of the Dam, you need take permission from the higher officers who work over there.
How to Reach Tehri Garhwal?
Tehri Garhwal is a hill station in the Uttarakhand state of India. It is located at an elevation of 1,850 meters (6,070 ft) in the Himalayan Mountains. The nearest train station is at Kotdwar which connects to Delhi and Kolkata. If you are coming by car, please be advised that the road is unpaved and narrow and that there is no public transport available.
Read Also: Haridwar: A City Of Spiritual Heritages